We are required to inform stakeholders how we have used our Pupil Premium funding. The funding has been mainly directed to accelerating progress for those children with specific need / barriers to learning; providing materials / resources to enhance provision for the children; to provide specialist care or to reduce costs for trips, clubs and residential; to offer enrichment for our more able children. The Pupil Premium has been utilised, in recent years, as follows:
- Funding extra TA hours to support smaller and targeted Maths groups, or so the teacher can work with Pupil Premium children.
- Providing 1:1 support for children with greatest need.
- Providing support for children at break and lunch-times.
- Purchase specialist input from education professionals.
- Provide SATs booster sessions.
- Release key staff for meetings involving Pupil Premium children.
- Funding of staff CPD to support Pupil Premium children.
- Funding involvement with Achievement for All for two years.
- Purchase of Rapid Phonics and Rapid Reading schemes to support Reading progress.
- Purchase of software to support the above.
- Purchase of High Frequency Magnetic words and whiteboards to improve reading / spelling.
- Purchase of IT Licences for Power of 2 Maths interventions.
- Purchase of specialist Dyslexia friendly resources.
- Purchase resources to enrich learning of More Able Pupil Premium children.
- Pupil Premium funding was also used to pay for residential costs for children on FSM.
These interventions can be seen in detail in:
Many of the above measures have had a positive impact on the teaching and learning of those children with barriers to learning. Please follow the link below for more details on their impact for 2015-2016:
Outcomes for Pupil Premium Children at Thornsett
The children at Thornsett who receive Free School Meals (FSM) receive extra funding (Pupil Premium). We gauge how effectively the funding has been used by measuring attainment and progress for this group of pupils.
Education Endowment Foundation
The Educational Endowment Foundation have analysed the progress and attainment of Pupil Premium children across tens of thousands of schools. This compares Thornsett Pupil Premium children with those at similar schools. The outcomes achieved for Thornsett pupils are very good based on this analysis. Please follow the link below for more details:
The Foundation also highlights the most effective use of funding - we are using this analysis to implement those which give best outcomes (e.g. greater 1:1 and small group feedback between teacher and child / children).